Cropping wallpapers

Am 23.02.2012 um 18:40 schrieb Josselin Mouette:

It needs to be updated to fit the requirements, however, especially in
terms of cropping: using it on a 4:3 or 5:4 display will likely result
in cutting the ice cube.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Now there are four source files (one for each aspect ratio) and four
wallpaper previews.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/NiceIce

Thanks for your work.

I’m afraid we don’t have a way to select the wallpaper file based on the
resolution. As explained in the requirements page, you need to provide a
picture that still looks nice when cropped.

This would be quite a limitation. It would mean that the main elements of the wallpaper have to be in the center of the picture, otherwise they could be cropped. So we just forget the "rule of thirds" (1) and whatever else we have learned from professional photography.

But I do not believe there is no way to select the wallpaper file based on the resolution in Debian.

Fedora 16 is providing the beautiful wallpapers of its "Verne"-theme in three resolutions (16:10, 4:3, 5:4) in /usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/. A short verne.xml file defines the choice. Gnome is directed to use it according to the resolution by another short file: /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/desktop-backgrounds-verne.xml.

As Debian uses /usr/share/gnome-background-properties too, it should be really possible to do the same. Just an idea. It would really improve things.

PS: Just for the case we don't want to do that, here is a small tool I made:

http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/wheezy/crop-tool.xcf

The gimp file crop-tool.xcf includes layers with all four resolutions of the requirements page. Just scale the whole crop-tool.xcf image to the height of your own picture (constrain proportions). Then drag the layers into your own gimp picture and see what will be cropped. Feel free to create a similar graphical tool for Inkscape.

regards
Ulrich