Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

On jeu., 2010-11-11 at 13:27 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:01:39AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > I'm not sure the size is relevant for the freeze exception (though it
> > might be for inclusion in the first CD), but in any case if the release
> > team thinks it's a bad idea, it can be changed.
>
> The release time might take issue, because instead of asking for a freeze
> exception in order to change the look and feel of the default desktops, we'd be
> asking for a freeze exception to do that, and also package up three non-default
> themes, which is an entirely different thing.

Well, it's basically the same thing.

> In the mean time, I think it's a bad idea, because it forces all desktop users
> to install nearly half a dozen themes.  I think we really have to step back and
> acknowledge that we *are* in freeze, we should take the freeze rules seriously,
> squeeze should be released as soon as possible, and these themes will be
> available in the next release (and in squeeze via backports).

Yes agreed, it's just that adding few jpegs in a package shouldn't
really mess with anything.

> > We can remove the previous artwork (at least Etch one) too to gain size,
> > though that means dealing with the alternatives removal.
>
> Because we can't package the existing theme in a new package for squeeze,
> this would mean that anyone upgrading to squeeze who has chosen to have
> the old theme will have it ripped away from underneath them.  So I think we
> have to leave the old theme in for squeeze, and move it into an external
> package for squeeze+1 (or drop it, if nobody wants to maintain it).

Well, we could add a NEWS entry saying that etch theme will be gone and
they should save it somewhere if they want to keep it. All in all, it's
again just a wallpaper and it should be fairly easy to find it
elsewhere.

I'm don't really have a strong opinion on this anyway.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis