Re: gksu, ktuss and other ways to get root

Raphael Geissert wrote:
Fathi Boudra wrote:

 Quoting the maintainer:
 > I do not think it is a good idea to use su-to-root inside .desktop
 > file, because this would make such .desktop file Debian-specific
 > (and thus would not be integrated upstream). Instead a freedesktop
 > approved remplacement to su-to-root should be provided by xdg-utils.
AOL, that sounds like the "right way" to do things.
discussed with freedesktop people some years ago.
The tool isn't ready yet and was postponed later.

Yeah. And like I said, _we_ could start using it and later, when it is
popular, make other people adopt it. Unless a better way to su to root in a
non DE-dependent way is created.

Well, the real fd.o solution here is PackageKit. Its a bad thing to run things using graphical toolkits as root, as they're not going to have been audited for security. With PackageKit you use a small, auditable dbus service to do the task you need doing as root, and have the actual UI running in the users security domain.

Thanks,
Rob

search "alternative to X-KDE-SubstituteUID for non KDE desktops" thread.

cheers,

Fathi

Cheers,