Re: Fwd: Debian objectives for lenny ... desktop

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:21:01PM +0000, LUIS  MATOS wrote:
> we can go one way or another. The one we choose, we will
> mass fill bug reports as RC in order to achieve it.
>
> I think we have some point in having the desktop
> discussion centralized here, so the people that has
> something to say can say it here. The decisions made by
> debian-desktop (list) are release decisions. I think we
> can think like this regarding desktop.

No, we can't.  Unless "Splash screen must have a consistent artwork" is
a release goal approved by the release managers, those bugs are not RC.

And personally, I don't think that should be a release goal, as this is
not how Debian works.  Usually, somebody (either the maintainer or
somebody else) does the work and if things are not getting moved
forward, people are nudged.  Making things RC seldom helps.

> >> - seek for group work application's compatibility out
> >>of the box.
> >
> >Can you elaborate on this?
>
> I hope that by the time we ship lenny, there will be a
> release of an outstanding workgroup application server:
> Hula.
>
> We (well ... i'm +/- in there too) are taking over it's
> control from novell and just waiting for them to lay the
> project's content to us. The comunity around hula is hudge
> and there are many developers waiting to lay their hands
> on it.

Interesting.  Let's see how this works out.

Maybe this "enterprise desktop" would rather merit a custom debian
distribution, integrating things like samba, hula etc. into something
nice sounds like out of scope to a regular task to me.

Michael