Re: desktop-base status (Was: gdm theme changes!)

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 21:31, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006, Gustavo Franco wrote:

>    * I heard a hint from Kevin Krammer who suggested putting a .sh
>      script in /usr/env to let startkde source it, it could change
>      KDEDIRS which is a list of directories to search for various
>      things, in particular configs; I thought about this, but I'm not
>      sure it can be cleanly implemented, in particular it should work
>      with locally modified environments, or other scripts setting
>      KDEDIRS;
       the above essentially describes re-implementing desktop-profiles as
       it applies to kde-specific settings

 	NOTE: depending on exactly what the settings are set in the added config
        set (not applicable for just setting background, splash) setting
        KDEDIRS in startkde it isn't sufficient (as kde apps can be started
        outside a kde-session)

>  - no XFCE integration: I recall discussing this shortly with
>    Yves-Alexis Perez who first suggested using the /etc XFCE config
>    file, but then said this might not be a good idea (I agree it's not a
>    good idea); I don't have any solution at this time.  Same remark as
>    for KDE, it would be nice if there was some system to hook overrides
>    (defaults or mandatory settings).

   destkop-profiles implements the hook you want

>  The KDE config stuff itself is ready (be it for KDE solution 2 or 3),
>  but not committed (it's from the desktop-profiles patch in the
>  desktop-base BTS).

   idem for the XFCE config stuff (in same patch)

--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)