Re: Etch Artwork

"Gustavo Franco" <stratus@debian.org> writes:

> On 9/19/06, Luis Matos <a26652@alunos.mec.ua.pt> wrote:
>> log from #splashy
>> <_gass_> otavio: a question that urged from debian-desktop
>> <_gass_> grub configuration
>> <otavio> _gass_: it's not too hard to do
>> <otavio> _gass_: i'm one of people involved on grub-installer and it has
>> support to user params so it won't be a big problem
>>
>> well ... is everything said ... or not?
>
> In a way yes, but let me Cc: Otavio and clear my mind on this definitely.
>
> Otavio, do you know that for we (wearing my tasksel member hat for a
> while) add splashy in the 'default desktop environment' the grub stuff
> needs to be in place first, right? splashy isn't into testing yet,
> could we count with the infrastructure (grub) and it for d-i etch RC1
> ? Are we sure that splashy will work in as much as different systems
> usplash actually works? The architecture list looks quite good, btw.

Splashy has one important bug to be solve before it goes to
testing. It respaw in initramfs :( After we solve it we'll be ready
tho let it go.

>From d-i POV it's not too difficult since a year ago I added support
to set special params on boot-loaders and then basically we just need
to do that if splashy or usplash is installed on final system. I can
try to do that next week.

Hardware support to splashy and usplash are, virtually, the same. We
have good results with splashy but it's still being worked on. The
same goes to usplash since we use it on a comercial product here at
O.S. Systems and it also sometimes just disapear... so no one is rock
solid yet :(

> If the infrastructure side on d-i is already possible tell me how.
> Please remember that we're "after base system install" right in the
> task installation step and there's already a 'desktop postinst' script
> where stuff could be added, preseeded, whatever.

Yes. We would need it and it's is simple. IIRC
debian-installer/user-params or something like that.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116