Re: The project is dead?

Hello,

I just wanted to point out that Splashy is being developed with
debian-desktop in mind and Etch.

You might want to include Splashy in this task/virtual-package.

ATM Splashy is not part of Etch as we are working on a bug that
prevents Splashy work correctly when started from initramfs. We are
about 10 or so developers working on this problem #splashy on
irc.freenode.net.

debian-desktop is NOT dead.

On 8/24/06, Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gustavo Franco wrote:
> > On 8/24/06, Janez Rabzelj Zappone <rabzelj.janez@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This project and mailing list is dead?
> >>

> > Hi Janez,
> >
> > Not really. I'll be updating the web site really soon, we've a desktop
> > artwork meeting on the plans and there are a lot of new stuff being
> > polished to our next release (Debian GNU/Linux Etch), in terms of
> > desktop. Do you need other information?
> >

> Mmmm, objetives of debian-desktop project, how I can contribute.

Hi Janez,

You can start contributing downloading a testing image[0] of our next
release and install the "default desktop environment", providing
feedback about the overall usability here. Keep in mind that you will
go through the normal questions and after install the base system you
will be asked which 'tasks' you want to install. Select "default
desktop environment" if it isn't already suggested for you. If you're
in a laptop, it might suggest the laptop task too.

For the record:
- The "default desktop environment" is GNOME but you can install KDE
invoking the installer writing "install tasksel/first=kde-desktop".
You will be able to write just "install tasks=kde-desktop" soon

- We need a better default artwork, and the discussions are going on

- I would like flash (gnash) and java (gcjwebplugin) support out of
the box, but maybe it won't make Etch in December due to upstream
issues, not our fault;

- multimedia support (audio/video playback with default apps and in
the browser, cd/dvd burn support) is being worked on to be included by
default too (where the codec licenses won't block us)

[0] = http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

regards,
-- stratus