Re: Usermode splash screen/boot. what's the best approach?

Alvin Smith wrote:
On Tuesday 04 January 2005 09:14 am, website wrote:

Hello to all.
For now the main under developing project of bootsplash in userspace is
usplash or ubuntusplash or miscrosplash. here is the main page:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/USplash

As you can see the main idea is:

<snip>

So, what is the best approach that people that writes on this mailing list
approve?

Ok, I am ignorant about why there is a need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. RH, SuSE, Knoppix, and others seem to have a working graphical boot. What is stopping Debian from utilizing or improving upon one of these methods? Are they not Open Source and GPL'ed? Is that the issue, or does it have something to do with the kernel?

Thanks.

Just to give you a quick update on the swing of things. RedHat/Fedora/Garbage uses RHGB for their boot. It is basically just a program on top of X, they start X early in the boot process and go from there. Next Suse uses I imagine a modified version of bootsplash. Bootsplash's design is bad and is very difficult to maintain and requires kernel modification. Knoppix does not really have a graphical boot, although it is colorful :). Gentoo uses fbsplash, which is a redesign and rewrite of bootsplash and is better, but still requires a kernel patch.

A completely userspace soultion that does not rely on X will be efficant and flexible. Thus our reasoning.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com