Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:54:02 +0200, website <website_debian@tiscali.it> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 October 2004 19:06, Luis M wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:22:32 +0200, website <website_debian@tiscali.it>
> wrote:
> > > On Saturday 30 October 2004 17:47, Luis M wrote:
<snip>
> look at the debsplash.conf file in script/:
> # should we drop to verbose mode on initscript errors? (yes/no)
> SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="yes"

Oh, i see now. I wonder if this actually works. What relationship is
there between debsplash's splash script and the fbsplash kernel patch?
I guess that fbsplash is using userspace tools to draw the screen and
this configuration settings can be passed to it...
K, i'll hold my horses until I see the whole thing working since I
seem to have only fbsplash patched kernel and nothing else (no
configuration, no scripts).

> Why not choose?
> some points can be deleted for me:
> 1)download or compile a kernel patched for fbsplash (.deb of the kernel is
> alredy done at the v 2.6.8, and you did the kernel patch for everyone that
> wants to compile a custom kernel)

>From where would users download this pre-patched kernel binaries?
Debian kernel maintainers will NOT do this. If there is something I
know about the Debian process is that this is a big no no. All users
who want this functionality will have to patch their own kernels or
get it from places like Debian Mentors (as source) and will need to
compile it anyway. I wouldn't trust anybody's sources or binaries :-)
Why would anybody else want to trust these?
<snip>
> now point 1 is quite finished, also point 2 (debsplash-0.1 is already
> released, see ftp) and i'm working in point 3

debsplash package is not ready. And it should be named debsplash-utils
anyway. scripts for progressbars are not ready either (unless you got
them to work already).
<snip>
> For do this, we need to modify the kernel patch called fbsplash, if we do this
> you should be sure that you will grow up the work with new kernels

This is the trend. What we need to do is maintain fbsplash in sync
with gentoo people and we will definitely need to keep doing new
patches for every new kernel that comes later. This is known. And this
is why this type of ideas suck for making fancy boot screens :-) I
know fedora uses a different approach, and perhaps there are other
ways out there (or possible). We simply need to find one that works
totally in user-space without kernel help (or make our patch clean and
simple and submit it to the kernel maintainers for approval and
inclussion into the kernel -- yeah, keep dreaming!)
<snip>
> And here there is a big problem that i found in my first test, if i run the
> init script after logout it works, but if i do by symlink with /etc/rcx.d it
> doesn't work.

I thought you said you got this working ;-) I'm dying to get my hands
on the code you are using and keep our work in sync. But...

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html