Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Saturday 30 October 2004 17:47, Luis M wrote:
> Well, I only care about people who actually have "silent" mode
> working. It seems that the reason some computers jump out of silent
> mode is because some kernel modules flag some alerts/warnings for
> whatever reason (usually not real emergencies; or not something that
> regular, mere mortals should care to read). I know power users could
> care less about silent mode. For the rest of us, there is a bootlogd
> that logs all boot messages to /var/log/boot. In case there are needed
> later. So for mere mortals the ideal Debian Desktop should be able to:

Yes it's true

> * Go into "super silent" mode where fbsplash/debsplash would NEVER
> show messages no matter what. Well, except perhaps when fsck is
> checking a drive... who knows (for those who don't use XFS, ext3 or
> whatever). In case fsck is going on, then it would be good if we can
> add another progress bar to display this only :-) but hey, this can be
> put in a TODO for later. And of course the F2 key to dump the whole
> thing to verbose should be an option (as sometimes some processes
> would stop the whole boot rc waiting for whatever. This happens to me
> when some USB drivers are being automatically loaded (cpia-usb) with
> the current 2.6.8.1 vanilla kernel and module tools from Sarge).

Please contact the developers before send a message like this to the ml.
How you must know, this "super-silent-mode" exists. It is done by a line in
the config file.

> * Enable bootlogd and make it clear that all messages are being logged
> there (perhaps a message that flashes through the screen during early
> boot in graphical mode). (it would be cooler if this message fades in
> and fades out)
>
> * And of course, the progress bar has to work. or else you get no
> sense of "something" happening.
>
> These are my own personal goals of course. I'm even putting time to do
> my own Debian-based CDs once we have debsplash working (currently in
> progress). I'll call this kiskeyix (and even have the domain for it:
> kiskeyix.org, which needs a website).
>
> In any case, for those willing to help out in this process. Be it
> debugging, coding, documentation or whatever is needed. You are more
> than welcome to jump into #debsplash channel in irc.freenode.net.
> Besides me, there are at least 2 other people there. So, we are small
> for now :-) (and need a ton of help).

And not, it is fake. we are in 4!
Me, you, Glyn and Mattew

> The goal is to get this working with progressbar and all the initrc
> stuff needed. Hopefully we won't need to patch any Debian inirc
> scripts (like it used to be the case with buggy bootsplash).

Why do this?
fbsplash is designed to work with the newest initramfs images.

> Oh, and for those who got bootsplash to work my advise: dump it and
> jump into debsplash. I could never see any other GPL'ed project so
> buggy and so careless as bootsplash is. Perhaps because there are a
> lot of "comercially oriented" people behind it (SuSe et al). So, the
> patches work for their distros but are a pain to get to work for
> vanilla kernels. Remember that gensplash (gentoo) started as a port of
> bootsplash. And we are taking this almost "as-is" and debianizing it;

It is fake again. To implements it we need to hack the standard init process

> whatever we do to it will be passed on upstream (they are working
> closely with us). gensplash code and build system is UGLY.

Yes it should be "ugly" but remember that without gensplash, debsplash is
nothing

--
website