Re: usplash or fbsplash?

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:07:26 -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson
<matt@matt-land.com> wrote:
> | we have made a developer group to work on a project called debsplash, it is a
> | bootsplash for debian.
> | Initially we started to port fbsplash on debian, but when we were working we
> | met another idea of bootsplash from ubuntu distro.
> | Ubuntu developers have thought to a bootsplash that is completely made in
> | userspace. So it doesn't have any kernel patch.
> | There is a main problem in this, really usplash is a child project so there
> | are not "valid" sources for now.
> | You can read some infos about fbsplash at
> | http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/
> | You can read some infos about usplash at
> | http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WartyWarthogUsplash
> |
> | Now we have to decide which approach to choose, the fbsplash one or the
> | usplash one, please sent your vote replying this message. If you are not
> | interested to this stuff please do nothing.
> |

> usplash.  I have always prefered a userspace solution.  And in reguard to Fedora
> rhgb, it runs X, which I don't really care for, the usplash stuff appears to run
> on a FB device and I think it is a better choice.  I am game for make it use
> dbus for communication which would enable it to do even cooler stuff.

Matt, you should join #debsplash. We already talked about similar
ideas. usplash has a lot of things in plans that we all want to
achieve. Let's hope we can get started quickly.

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html