Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 04:58, Bluefuture wrote:
> In the meantime fbsplash will be officially introduced in debian, and
> the debian kernel maintainers introduce fbsplash patch in the official
> debian patch applied to the kernel i had founded this little howto for
> people that want to have bootsplash on his own debian:
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/html/articles/debian-splash-nonprint.ht
This how-to doesn't work with standard debian kernel

> Cheers,
> Ste
Hi to all
From a week i'm trying to implements fbsplash on debian. I'm happy that
fbsplash patch is now inside the debian kernel, and i hope that vesa-tng will
be soon in it.
Studing the way of work of fbsplash i noted that, for now, debian kernel and
fbsplash are incompatible.
In fact the standard precompiled kernel is very modular and use an initrd
image to loads modules at boot. Fbsplash need an initramfs to work
(linux-sources/Documentation/early-userspace/README) and if you use this
image with the standard kernel it will results a not bootable kernel. I'm
working to use initramfs to load modules.
There is also another bug:
you need to patch you bootsplash2fbsplash script to converts bootsplash themes
(the version done by spock doesn't work on debian). I've alredy done a new
package of splashutils that is under testing on my system.
Excuse my very poor English
--
website