Re: Project Utopia on Debian unstable

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 11:28, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> Mark Howard wrote:
>
> > I have a similar setup. I find that sound only works with certain
> > applications depending on whether "Enable sound server setup" option
> > is on in gnome. If it is on, I get sound in gnome, but e.g. totem
> > doesn't work (in fact, totem will just crash).
>
> When the GNOME sound server (esd) is enabled, it blocks other programs
> from using the sound device; only esound-aware applications can access
> that device.  (This includes xmms, gstreamer-based programs like
> Rhythmbox, xine and SDL programs, and others.  It excludes PortAudio
> programs like Audacity, most older software, and others.)
>
> When the sound server is not running, any application can play sound,
> but GNOME features that depend on esd (like event sounds) will not work.
> Also, when the sound server is not running, only one application can
> access the sound device at once (unless you have set up software mixing
> or some other solution).
>
> Applications should fail gracefully, reporting that the sound device is
> busy.  Totem is an exception because of #257308, a bug in libarts1 that
> causes programs linked to arts and esound (like totem-xine) to crash
> when esound is initialized after arts:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=257308

In addition to the locking scenario Matt just described, it is also
important to double check the user's groups. In the case of xmms, SDL
applications, and other independant audio applications the user must be
a member of the audio group to access the an audio device. I am not sure
this is the case with esd based applications, but it will be if esd runs
as the user on startup. (I'm vaguely remember running into that as well,
but I don't use ESD anymore.)

Good luck,
--
Matthew P. McGuire <gray AT shadowglade.net> 1024D/E21C0E88
CB82 7859 26B2 95E3 1328  5198 D57A D072 E21C 0E88