Project Utopia on Debian unstable

Hi,

I am trying to install the utopia components (hal, dbus, udev,
gnome-volume-manager etc) on Debian Unstable. I have a custom compiled
kernel (2.6.7) with hotplug enabled.

I have also got updated packages (modutils, module-init-tools,
alsa-base, hal, dbus etc) from unstable tree.

When I bootup into GNOME, I see that /dev/snd/mixer  is not created.
When I put a CD in, the CD player is started by the
gnome-volume-manager, which shows that the hal/dbus/g-v-m is working
fine. But there is no sound. Am I missing anything here? Has anyone
got Project Utopia working out of the box on debian unstable?

Thanks
--
  Ramakrishnan