Re: MTA configured to handle local mail by default

Am Wednesday 28 April 2004 19:51 schrieb Daniel Cardenas - AZ:

> I'm thinking of a networked world, where all of our data is accessible
> from anywhere all of the time.

Yes, no opposition from here, that is somthing for the MUA configuration
though. The System itself needs a simple localy functional MTA to send
messeges to its users etc. That is a nice feature MUA should be configured
for it by default. The MTA should just work seamlessly out of the box though.
MTAs doing network requests when configured to be local-only have certainly a
configuration bug.

> while away.  For a notebook user I can see a good argument for storing
> them in both places.  What do you think?

I think my notebook needs a network filesystem /home with disconnected
operation that syncs up automaticly ;-) (intermezzo, reiser4?)

Personaly I prefer receiving (SMTP) or fetching (pop3) mail localy and use
IMAP only within the lan or in environments where allways-on connections are
available (VPN etc.). Never liked imap on notebooks with sometimes only
occasionaly dial-up.

Cheers,
Christian