Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian-update Gnome applet]

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:24:47PM -0600, "Matthew A. Nicholson" <debian@matt-land.com> was heard to say:
> >  There isn't a notification-area applet right now because a Gnome
> >applet is superior for my personal use, and I wanted to start with the
> >UI that I would want to use.  Plus, the notification-area only lets you
> >show an icon IIRC, so it's not really an option until I have icons to
> >show.
> >(it's also not obvious how to create a notification-area
> >applet...although I don't suppose the documentation could possibly be
> >worse than that for the Gnome libraries)
>
> I could help ya with writing the notification app.  I have read about it
> and looked at source code.  Aparently you are supposed to be able to put
> more than an icon there, but I assume by convention that is all that has
> been put there.  Also both kde and gnome have session management and you
> could use that to restart the app.

  That would be great.  Does session management handle the "lots of
little copies of the same program running at once with different
settings" problem?

  As far as icons go, you could probably just use a generic icon
("Information" or "Warning", maybe) when updates are available for
the time being.  It might not even be necessary to display anything
the rest of the time, at least to start with.  Your call.

  The development repository is svn://alioth.debian.org/apt-watch .

  Daniel

|           "Oh my god!  The entire map is written in GIBBERISH!"             |
|           "Worse, my friend.  It's written in German!" -- Fluble            |
\------------- Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org -- Because. ------------/