Re: State of Sarge

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 01:33, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I just installed Sarge using a daily build netinst CD, and I must say,
> I'm very concerned. The actual install process is relatively easy to use
> (with the exception of the drive/partition names), but when it comes to
> package selection and installation, Debian's usability breaks down hard.
>
> The problem is just that after using tasksel (which still isn't set up
> very appropriately), the user is presented with a string of
> package-specific configuration screens, the second of which is something
> about statd and tcpwrappers, which I have no idea about, even though I'm
> an experienced Debian desktop user.
>
> I'm kind of unclear about how we're going to make this user-friendliness
> come about. Is Debian itself going to stay a single distribution, and
> the whole thing be made easier to use? Should there be multiple system
> "profiles" that control at a high level how things are sorted out and
> configured (desktop, server, etc.)? Will Debian Desktop fork?
>
> I'm interested in helping any way I can...
>

> --
> Joel Konkle-Parker
> Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]
>
> E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]
> Phone      [662-518-1636]

Hi there,

Well as a complete newbie to linux and Debian. Perhaps i can point you
and the devolops in the right direction.

A basic document. Covering all the things, you have to know. Would be
useful. Lets call it, for newbies doc. :)

Covering very basic things like. You must have all relevent infomation
for your computer. Processor, video card type, memory on the card.
Refresh rates of monitor etc. So some kind of check list.

Then how to use Aptitude. Apt-get install and similiar commands. Plus
the absolote minuim packages need. For some kind of friendly desktop.

ie- nautilus, sawfish, X window system and anyting else to get a basic
desktop working. Would be very useful. :)

As you would not believe the amount of docs you have to read. For this
infomation. I have read a whole book on linux. Which was only midly
useful. As it dealt with stuff, i won't tackle till i am an more
experienced user. Having just came from a windows enviroment. You have
to relearn everything. I still feel like i have been throwen in the deep
end. If it wasn't for this wonderful forum. I may have given up, before
i even started.

Feel free to email me, for any other ideas.