State of Sarge

I just installed Sarge using a daily build netinst CD, and I must say, I'm very concerned. The actual install process is relatively easy to use (with the exception of the drive/partition names), but when it comes to package selection and installation, Debian's usability breaks down hard.

The problem is just that after using tasksel (which still isn't set up very appropriately), the user is presented with a string of package-specific configuration screens, the second of which is something about statd and tcpwrappers, which I have no idea about, even though I'm an experienced Debian desktop user.

I'm kind of unclear about how we're going to make this user-friendliness come about. Is Debian itself going to stay a single distribution, and the whole thing be made easier to use? Should there be multiple system "profiles" that control at a high level how things are sorted out and configured (desktop, server, etc.)? Will Debian Desktop fork?

I'm interested in helping any way I can...

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]