Re: "debian.pool.ntp.org" for Debian derivatives?

On 10/18/2018 11:22 AM, Philipp Hahn wrote:
> Are we (as a Debian derivate) allowed to hard-code and use the
> "debian.pool.ntp.org" or must we apply for our own pool?

the idea between the different pool CNAMEs is that when one vendor does
something bad/wrong, the queries of devices running that version of ntp
can be easier diverted to /dev/null.

hence, as long as you don't "modify" the ntp package from debian in your
derivative, there is no need/gain of applying for an own ntp pool.

(re "modify": use your best judgement. fictional example: if you would
recompile the unmodified source package from debian with some weird
toolchain/settings in your derivative which would be likely to break
stuff, I would err on the side of causion and apply for a pool.)

Regards,
Daniel