Re: Debian derivatives census: PureOS: welcome!

Hi everyone,

I am long time Debian developer with a special interest in Pure Blends
(a.k.a. friendly assimilation of derivatives into Debian). Since about a
month ago I am hired by Purism to help develop PureOS - a Debian
derivative for which I will act as Derivatives Census contact :-)

PureOS targets regular users concious about security and freedom.  The
system comes pre-installed on devices produced by Purism - Librem
laptops (and a year from now also Librem phones, if all goes as planned)
- and can also be installed onto other similar devices.

Details at https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/PureOS :-)

Quoting Hector Oron (2017-08-24 18:41:49)
> The page says that PureOS modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
> rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
> modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does PureOS actually do
> this?

Ah, stupid me: I made same mistake when helping BOSS linux fill out
their Census entry, and forgot it again now.  Corrected.

> The apt repository for PureOS does not contain source packages [for the
> contrib and non-free section], including for packages licensed under
> the GNU GPL.
> This may or may not be a copyright violation depending on whether or
> not you distribute those elsewhere. In any case, please add source
> packages to your repository so that Debian can automatically create
> patches to be presented to Debian package maintainers.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#No_source_packages
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches

PureOS deliberately avoids contrib and non-free sections, because it
aims at getting endorsed by FSF: https://puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/

Should I ignore above warning, or is it better I list contrib and
non-free even though those are empty dummies for PureOS?

 - Jonas