Debian derivatives census: Cumulus Linux: welcome Roopa Prabhu!

Hi Roopa, all,

Roopa Prabhu has taken over maintenance of the Cumulus Linux page in
the Debian derivatives census. Thanks and welcome to the census!
Roopa, would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and your role within Cumulus to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux?action=diff&rev1=15&rev2=16

It would be great if you could bring your census page into sync with
the template and fill in as many of the fields as you have data for.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusTemplate

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Cumulus.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Cumulus census page,
I've made a few changes to the Cumulus census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux?action=info

The page says that Cumulus modifies Debian binary packages. Nolan
explained a while ago that this situation was temporary, is that
still the case? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

https://lists.debian.org/53BEFC2B.3010700@cumulusnetworks.com

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Cumulus are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

http://deriv.debian.net/CumulusLinux/check-package-list
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Date.2C_Valid-Until

The apt repository for Cumulus does not contain source packages. Nolan
explained a while ago that this situation was being worked on. Do you
know if any progress has been made on that issue?

http://deriv.debian.net/CumulusLinux/check-sources-list
https://lists.debian.org/53BEFC2B.3010700@cumulusnetworks.com

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

The Cumulus blog is aggregated on Planet Debian derivatives which helps
the Debian community find out the things that are happening in the
world of Debian derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Montreal, Canada. It would
be great if developers from Cumulus could attend DebConf. If this isn't
possible, next year DebConf will be in Hsinchu, Taiwan.

https://debconf17.debconf.org/
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18

I would encourage Cumulus Networks (the Cumulus Linux corporate
sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued survival
of Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference.

https://debconf17.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/
https://debconf.org/sponsors/
https://www.debian.org/donations
https://www.debian.org/partners/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Cumulus is based on Debian stable. The Debian release team
recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian stable
release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your plans for
rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).

https://release.debian.org/#updates

A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
issues that come up.

https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on repo.cumulusnetworks.com will
help Cumulus users to obscure package names and version numbers from
global active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

http://dnsviz.net/d/cumulusnetworks.com/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Guidelines/Web_Security

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Cumulus team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise