Re: Debian derivatives census: Cumulus Linux: welcome Roopa Prabhu!

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Roopa, all,
>
> Roopa Prabhu has taken over maintenance of the Cumulus Linux page in
> the Debian derivatives census. Thanks and welcome to the census!
> Roopa, would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
> and your role within Cumulus to us all?

Thank you Paul.

Hello all, I have been with cumulus since the early days for about 5
years now. We started with Debian on
powerpc and now support x86 and arm. I learnt all of the Debian I know
today from my project of porting our
then only powerpc distribution from squeeze to wheezy :). It was fun.
I have spent all these years
doing various things from kernel, network interface manager, lldpd,
libnl, iptables and so on Debian and Cumulus Linux.

These days I lead the kernel and network interface management teams at
Cumulus Networks.
Me and my team are active contributors to Linux kernel networking and
user-space tools and libraries like
iproute2 and libnl. I also happen to be the author of ifupdown2.

I love the Debian community. I have had an amazing experience working
with everyone I have interacted so far.
Its inspiring. Thanks for having me here.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux?action=diff&rev1=15&rev2=16
>
> It would be great if you could bring your census page into sync with
> the template and fill in as many of the fields as you have data for.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusTemplate

> It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

> I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines
>
> You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
> there may apply to Cumulus.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA
>
> You don't appear to be subscribed to the Cumulus census page,
> I've made a few changes to the Cumulus census page:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/CumulusLinux?action=info

will do, thanks for the pointers.

> The page says that Cumulus modifies Debian binary packages. Nolan
> explained a while ago that this situation was temporary, is that
> still the case? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

I will check on this.

> https://lists.debian.org/53BEFC2B.3010700@cumulusnetworks.com
>
> Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Cumulus are missing
> the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
> network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
> rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
> this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.
>
> http://deriv.debian.net/CumulusLinux/check-package-list
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Date.2C_Valid-Until
>
> The apt repository for Cumulus does not contain source packages. Nolan
> explained a while ago that this situation was being worked on. Do you
> know if any progress has been made on that issue?

yes, we have for most of them. I will check with our release team on
the repo upload status for these packages and get back to you.

> http://deriv.debian.net/CumulusLinux/check-sources-list
> https://lists.debian.org/53BEFC2B.3010700@cumulusnetworks.com
>
> The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
> derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
> value of the field in the derivatives census.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor
>
> The Cumulus blog is aggregated on Planet Debian derivatives which helps
> the Debian community find out the things that are happening in the
> world of Debian derivatives.
>
> http://planet.debian.org/deriv/
>
> This year the annual Debian conference is in Montreal, Canada. It would
> be great if developers from Cumulus could attend DebConf. If this isn't
> possible, next year DebConf will be in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
>
> https://debconf17.debconf.org/
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18
>
> I would encourage Cumulus Networks (the Cumulus Linux corporate
> sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued survival
> of Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference.
>
> https://debconf17.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/
> https://debconf.org/sponsors/
> https://www.debian.org/donations
> https://www.debian.org/partners/
>
> I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
> the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
> things that need helpers.
>
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

> I note that Cumulus is based on Debian stable. The Debian release team
> recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian stable
> release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your plans for
> rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).
>
> https://release.debian.org/#updates
>
> A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
> to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
> issues that come up.
>
> https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
> https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
>
> You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
> and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on repo.cumulusnetworks.com will
> help Cumulus users to obscure package names and version numbers from
> global active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.
>
> http://dnsviz.net/d/cumulusnetworks.com/
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Guidelines/Web_Security
>
> Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Cumulus team.

yes, thanks again for all the information. I will circulate this email
and respond to the action
 items above as soon as I can,

Regards,
Roopa