Debian derivatives census: Wazo: welcome!

On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 13:08 -0400, Sébastien Duthil wrote:

> Thanks for the invitation, I did not know of this initiative, that was a
> real good surprise :)

Thanks for joining the derivatives census!

> I just added Wazo to the census:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Wazo

I would like to welcome yourself and Wazo to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
an
d Wazo to us all?

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Wazo.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

I've made a few changes to the Wazo census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Wazo?action=info

The page says that Wazo modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Wazo actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Wazo are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Date.2C_Valid-Until

Some of the Release files are also missing the Label field:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Label
http://deriv.debian.net/Wazo/check-package-list

There are some differences between the list of source packages listed
in the Sources files and those listed in the Packages files. Likewise,
there are some differences between the list of binary packages listed
in the Sources files and those listed in the Packages files.

http://deriv.debian.net/Wazo/diff_source_packages
http://deriv.debian.net/Wazo/diff_binary_packages

> I found that we don't have a correct dpkg-vendor output, and we will
> attempt to fix this in our next version.

Excellent :)

I've added the Wazo blog to Planet Debian derivatives which helps the
Debian community find out the things that are happening in the world of
Debian derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Since Wazo is based in Quebec you might be interested in joining
the Debian Quebec group.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups#Canada
https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups/DebianQuebec

This year the annual Debian conference is in Montreal, Canada. This
appears to be relatively close to the Wazo location, it would be
great if developers from Wazo could attend DebConf. If this isn't
possible, next year DebConf will be in Hsinchu, Taiwan.

https://debconf17.debconf.org/

Glad to hear that Wazo is planning to support DebConf17 financially :)

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Wazo is based on Debian stable. The Debian release team
recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian stable
release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your plans for
rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).

https://release.debian.org/#updates

A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
issues that come up.

https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I note that Wazo has a backport of pjproject, you might also like to
contribute your backporting efforts to Debian.

https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/

I note that Wazo is a VoIP project, you might want to contribute
developer time to the Debian VoIP team.

https://pkg-voip.alioth.debian.org/

You might want to add DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records and SSL to
some of your domains. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Wazo team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise