Re: init systems?

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 11:42:35PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a result of a debian-devel discussion I'm interested in finding out:
>
> Which derivatives are still using upstart as their init system?
> Since upstart was abandoned by Canonical and removed from Debian, we
> plan to start removing upstart jobs from Debian after stretch releases.
>
> Which derivatives use a specific init system?

Because of attempting to keep complexity as low as possible, thus
avoiding side-effect errors by automized parallelisms, Knoppix uses
sysvinit with dependency fixes that allow co-existence with systemds
library components now required by Debian, and just a few bash scripts
for system startup instead of the entire /etc/init.d/* suite provided by
packages.

> Which derivatives attempt to be init system agnostic?

Plans for a Raspberry Pi Knoppix version are to use the (sysv-)init in
busybox instead of systemd.

> Which derivatives use or package an init system not in Debian?

Knoppix (the Intel/AMD version) currently maintains its own sysvinit
package based on the last working version found in Debian.

> I've added an init system question to the census, if you could add your responses to the corresponding census pages, that would be great.

URL? (Just as a reminder to those who have not visited the page for a
long time...)

Regards
-Klaus