Re: Debian derivatives census: OpenNetLinux: welcome!

Hi!

On Wed, 2016-04-06 at 14:53:05 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-04-05 at 22:47 -0700, Steven Noble wrote:
> > Although I was unable to find any documentation saying so, It appears
> > that the vendor string has to be a single word. We are using "Open
> > Network Linux" in our .deb creation, which fails if we try to use it
> > as a vendor string in origins. If this is the case, I will update our
> > tool to use OpenNetworkLinux instead.
>
> The documentation for the origin files doesn't give any info about
> restrictions on the vendor name, but it sounds like they are arbitrary
> text rather than limited to a single word. The dpkg vendor info on the
> wiki page isn't yet processed in any way. What error do you get?
>
> http://manpages.debian.org/man5/deb-origin
> http://manpages.debian.org/man1/dpkg-vendor

I've recently documented this in the man pages:

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=fa72f4b18f88bab1dae78a5e519512807dec1e6c>

And even though spaces (for example) are supported in the Vendor field
name, I think using them is probably a bad idea. Consider that these
have to be used when checking for the origin with dpkg-vendor and
similar. The same with extremely long names. I'm not sure that other
things that handle Origin/Vendor names support spaces. And probably
allowing them in the first place was a bad idea.

Thanks,
Guillem