Re: Are there other derivatives based on Debian Testing?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> are there other Debian derivatives based on Debian Testing? (I don't know
> how to grep on the census...)

A quick search on the CensusFull page reveals a few:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusFull

> In Kali, we have a workflow where we constantly sync with Debian Testing
> and our kali-dev release breaks from time to time due to breakage in
> testing:
> - some package migrate alone when they should not (ex: texinfo with
>   #791588)

That was filed with severity serious so it should have blocked
migration. I guess the migration happened before the bug was filed?
The solution here seems to be more testing of unstable to catch bugs
early.

> - some packages are removed because the maintainer disappeared (ex: tcpick
>   with #778141)

Not sure if there is anything that can be done about inactive
maintainers other than NMU early, NMU often :)

> We push temporary fixes in our kali-dev repo but it would be better
> for everybody if such temporary fixes would reach testing itself.

I guess that would depend on the release team accepting updates via
testing-proposed-updates outside of the freeze.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise