Re: dpkg vendor (Re: Debian derivatives census: hLinux: welcome!)

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Jeremy Davis wrote:
> On 06/05/15 07:31, Powers, Joshua wrote:
>> We originally modified /etc/dpkg/origins/default to point at our own
>> file that stated: "Vendor = hlinux" In doing so we discovered that
>> this modified lsb_release and caused some applications to fail to
>> install as they were unable to determine the underlying distribution.
>> The prime example is OpenStack's diskimage-builder was expecting
>> either Debian or Ubuntu and failed with other values. Is there a
>> better method? Or should we instead be working with the software
>> vendors to not hard code specific actions based off this value?

I think it depends on the details but that failing when lsb_release
doesn't return a distro in a blessed set of distros is a bad idea,
since it forces more work on users/devs of less mainstream distros. I
would file bugs upstream where packages do this and I'd guess for most
instances there will be alternatives to their use of lsb_release.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise