Re: A little help getting started?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, John Moser wrote:

Hi all.

I've been browsing through some pages on buildd, sbuild, and the like. The best I can find is the thing on building your own autobuild node[1], but that seems very specific to integrating with Debian proper. Likewise, it's ... a mess. Not really concerned with being The Everyman's Guide.

This is kind of bewildering for me. My goal is to configure a setup (locally on virtual machines) that essentially allows me to auto-build locally in two modes:

-   Pull from Debian
-   Insert my own additional packages

Hi John,

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you want to do, I recommend using sbuild / schroot, and completely forgetting about the buildd package. You should be able to create the initial build chroots via sbuild-createchroot (or Ubuntu's mk-sbuild, which is a little fancier), which will let you use sbuild for package builds.

For automatic builds, it depends on what part you want to automate. Do you want to automate the process of packaging up your own code? I think that's best done within whatever existing build infrastructure you have -- my workplace does this with buildbot, for instance, because that's what we were using before we got into building Debian packages, but any automated builder will be equally suitable. (The buildslave is an Ubuntu machine with schroots set up such that sbuild can work, and the compile process for Ubuntu is running sbuild to compile the entire product and then package it, analogous with a call to nmake or xcodebuild or something on Windows and Mac.)

Do you want to automate the process of applying custom patches on top of Debian packages? There's some code for this in the Debathena repository (the "autodebathenificator") that I can write up documentation for if asked, but in my experience it's only useful for small changes like configuring with different options, since you'll want to resolve nontrivial merges by hand anyway.

Do you want to automate creating CDs? You don't need to modify or rebuild the existing Debian packages, and I'd encourage you not to plan on doing so until you get as big as Ubuntu and have _outgrown_ the Debian build network. You can point the CD creation process (whether live-build, or debian-installer, or something else) at both the Debian apt repo and your custom repo. As long as your forks of Debian packages have a higher version number, things will work out.

I don't think a buildd setup is immediately useful for most people creating derivative distros, if you only have a couple of developers and are targetting only one-ish architecture and parent distro release.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding what your goal is.

--
Geoffrey Thomas
http://ldpreload.com