Re: relationship with Ubuntu - call for feedback

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Iain Lane wrote:

> There is a push, and coming with it a growing movement, to get
> applications into Ubuntu via a new Application Review process (aka
> extras.ubuntu.com) which is a parallel repository available for stable
> releases only that is not a part of the distribution.

I note that there are only two source packages on that site, one of
which was uploaded by a Debian member to there instead of to Debian.
The other one has seen an RFS in Debian:

http://lists.debian.org/4E4EF698.7000706@gmail.com

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

> It seems to me that this is a fundamental shift in what we consider a
> distribution to be, becoming a 'platform' on top of which people offer
> applications (the app-store model which the software centre promotes)
> rather than a collection of all the great Free Software out there. I
> fear a negative impact on both distribution developer motivation and the
> quality of the distros (including a knock-on impact on Debian as
> upstream) if this new method of distributing apps takes hold and the
> next generation of nice applications never see themselves in the
> distribution.
>
> WDYT? Is there a real problem here?

I consider this to be a problem. This is not an easy attitude to counter though.

> Definitely at least two of this year's DD intake (and one in NM),
> including myself, started out in Ubuntu and have migrated over.

There is a long tradition of DDs coming to Debian from derivatives,
especially Ubuntu.

I myself became a Debian user and then developer due to my use of Knoppix.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise