Re: Ubuntu-originated packages in Debian (Re: ubuntu keyring?)

[Micah Gersten, 2011-05-19]
> On 05/19/2011 06:48 AM, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > For a typical "sponsorship" scenario, the packager is doing most of the
> > work, and the sponsor is "just" reviewing and uploading.  In the case of an
> > Ubuntu package, it's reversed: the "sponsorship" part is the majority of the
> > work, and the "packaging" part is trivial.

I probably do something wrong, because "just" reviewing often takes me more
time than packaging from scratch...

> Unfortunately, not all Ubuntu packages are up to the latest Debian
> packaging standards, so in some cases, there could be some work needed
> in the packages.  Also, when getting a package into a team (which would
> be a good place for these since sponsors are more readily found), there
> could be team packaging conventions to comply with as well.

not a single package already accepted in a derivative was accepted by me
in Debian without fixing some serious issues first (the same
can be said about almost¹ all other NEW packages I sponsored, though)
and I sponsored quite some.

What I want to say is: there are different quality standards in Debian
and I have a feeling that you want to propose some kind of
signing/uploading gate here.

[¹] these few packages that were uploaded after initial RFS were made by
    people already waiting for DAM, though