Re: ubuntu keyring?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:39:53PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> > We have emdebian and DebianEdu keyrings in Debian, there is no reason
> > someone couldn't upload the Ubuntu keyring to Debian. Seems no-one has
> > cared about doing that yet though. This could be a good task for the
> > Ubuntu portion of the DEX group, you might want to bring it up on the
> > debian-derivatives list:
>
> There is already an open RFP for ubuntu-archive-keyring[1], but nobody
> bothered to package it yet.  ubuntu-devel-discuss@l.u.c was CCed twice,
> but there hasn't been a response (tough my mail seems to be lost due to
> mailing list moderation).

I'm sorry your message was apparently lost; a quick Google search didn't
find it in the archives.  Can you forward me a copy so that perhaps I can
track down what happened to it?

With regard to ubuntu-archive-keyring, ubuntu-devel-discuss@ might not be
the best place to find a maintainer, as that list is for discussion about
Ubuntu development.  I don't know how many DDs or DMs are on that list, if
any.

I think this highlights an interesting gap in understanding which I
sometimes see in relation to Debian.  In my view, the only people who can
package software for Debian are DDs and DMs, so asking Ubuntu developers to
package software for Debian is perhaps not addressing the appropriate
audience.

On the other hand, if a DD is willing to sponsor someone, then it makes
more sense to extend an offer.

I think that this is one of the reasons why Ubuntu packages often don't make
their way into Debian: Debian developers expect Ubuntu to do it themselves,
and Ubuntu developers can't do it without help.

--
 - mdz