Re: Documentation: When to Upstream…

On 06/24/2010 11:09 PM, Torsten Werner wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Daniel Holbach
> <daniel.holbach@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> I'd appreciate your feedback on it.
>
> it sounds reasonable to me. Could you add a note that every Ubuntu
> maintainer can become a maintainer of Debian packages if he has a
> sponsor? That might be interesting for packages that are not properly
> maintained in Debian.

You mean, one needs an initial Debian Maintainer Upload flag set
and the Ubuntu maintainer is somehow fast-tracked through the
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer process, right?

> I wonder how often patch submission to Debian are just ignored
> (without applying the patch or giving the submitter any feedback). Is
> that a real problem? Do you have any numbers? Should we find a
> solution?

This is really a problem, which has improved since the PTS also
shows buts in Ubuntu in the lower-right corner, like in
http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/autodocktools.html
(I just found it).

Ubuntu has a nice page here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing#Preparing%20New%20Revisions
where they also explain that Debian developers can close Ubuntu
bugs by adding "(Closes:lp:" as a prefix to a launchpad bug number
in complete analogy to our Debian approach. We could think
more about how to learn more easily about problems mentioned
in lp and possibly other sources.

Greetings

Steffen