Re: Debian derivatives front desk: where to from here?

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:

> I like the idea of periodic meetings. A form it might take is that of
> having 1 or 2 Debian-based distros per meeting, presenting themselves
> (I'm quite sure that we Debian-ers not necessarily know what other
> distros based on our work are doing). Each distro representative can
> them summarize good and bad experiences in working with Debian ... and
> I'm sure from there discussion will focus on how we can improve their
> experience!

Sounds good.

> That remind me that, in the distro census, we really need derivatives to
> specify a contact point where inquiries *from Debian* should best be
> directed.

I tried to include that with the "Debian Example IRC:" line in the
template. If some derivatives have other Debian-specific contact
points, we should add that to the template.

> That is a very useful initiative, thanks. I remember that people from
> -www meant to revamp the webpages on the subject and that they will
> welcome help. Moreover, we need coordination about where to store the
> information. I believe it does make sense to start from scratch and
> then, after a given cut off date, discuss with -www how to migrate the
> data to a more stable place. (Or, better, given that sometimes distro
> appear and disappear, we might say that they will be moved to www.d.o
> after a while.)
>
> Based on previous discussions with -www folks on the matter, I suggest
> asking for a logo in the CensusTemplate, as visual identity is kind of
> important for distros. I haven't changed the CensusTemplate myself as
> I'm not sure about the best way to include images in moin pages. Anyone?

Added the Debian logo to CensusTemplate.

-www folks, the census is meant to be complementary and provide extra
information over and above what is on the website, mainly stuff that
is useful to Debian in order to find ways to get data that can be
automatically imported into UDD and or added to Debian infrastructure
(like Ubuntu is represented on the PTS/DDPO).

IMO the website could contain derivative name, blurb and a logo, the
wiki should contain info that is useful to Debian developers.

> All the above activities are very nice, but I fear they'll be worth
> nothing unless we communicate about them. In particular, the census has
> no chances of working unless we make some noise about that. What I think
> we really need now is to send out a status update about the derivatives
> front desk; that would be a perfect chance to reach out to derivatives
> and invite them to fill out census templates.
>
> I believe the appropriate channel to do that would be debian-news, as
> with d-d-a we will hardly reach out to any derivative we are not in
> touch with yet.

Definitely agreed. The main reason I didn't do that yet was that I
wanted to see how many derivatives actively follow this list. So far
we've had gNewSense, Emdebian and Maemo added.

As for additional appropriate channels, catering a bits email to the
LWN audience would be a good idea. I also thought of joining the IRC
channels of as many derivatives we can find and talking to them about
it.

> Just done! Thanks for winning against my laziness on joining new
> channels :-)

Thanks for joining :)

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise