Re: derivatives distro census

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:06:12AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Personally I think Mer should be listed but not Maemo since it is
> essentially a dead end and will not be developed further. A separate
> page/section could be added for prominent distros that are no longer
> developed.

Well, it depends. There are various different reasons for having a
distro census: one might want to have it just to have an up to date list
of derivatives which might be affected by relevant Debian changes, but
on the other end one might want to have it as a list of "success
stories" or show cases of where Debian went. For the second reason also
having past distros which have been end-of-lined is useful.

> I'd suggest any census be co-ordinated with the press team so it gets
> wider coverage in the tech media (slashdot, LWN etc).

Yes, this is in fact the hard part. Where we do that (wiki or whatnot)
is actually secondary with respect to how we advertise/announce it. I
don't think I'll be able myself to coordinate this before DebConf10, but
if someone else is ready to take up the task, deciding about that would
be a good first step.

Cheers.