Re: Introducing UCS

Am Donnerstag 01 Juli 2010 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > To provide an easy management we develop tools like Univention Directory
> > Manager (UDM) to manage the LDAP directory or Univention Management
> > Console (UMC) to manage the server. We also developed some other tools
> > like UCS AD Connector to synchronise the LDAP data including passwords
> > between OpenLDAP and Active Directory.
> >
> > UCS is our open source alternative to Active Directory.
>
> Cool!  Any reason to not package UCS for official Debian?

No, not really.

The dependency between the UCS tools might be a problem. For example we are
using an integrated configuration file management called Univention
Configuration Registry (UCR) which changes a lot of basic settings and
generates config files from templates. This is largely because we need an
easy way to configure a lot of systems. To be flexible we can write Python
code directly in config file templates.

For example the LDAP base DN is configured in a lot of configuration files:

root@qamaster:~# ucr set ldap/base="dc=univention,dc=qa"
Setting ldap/base
File: /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf
Multifile: /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
File: /etc/krb5.conf
File: /etc/heimdal-kdc/kdc.conf
File: /etc/kolab2/resmgr.conf
File: /etc/kolab2/freebusy.conf
File: /etc/pam.d/httpd-freebusy
File: /etc/pam.d/lmtp
Multifile: /etc/postfix/main.cf
Multifile: /etc/postfix/master.cf
File: /etc/pam.d/smtp
File: /etc/postfix/sasl/pam_ldap_smtp.conf
File: /etc/horde/horde3/conf.php
File: /etc/horde/horde3/kolab.php
File: /etc/ldap/ldap.conf
File: /etc/imapd/imapd.conf
File: /etc/imapd/pam_ldap_imap.conf
File: /etc/pam.d/imap
File: /etc/pam.d/pop
File: /etc/pam.d/sieve
File: /etc/libnss-ldap.conf
File: /etc/pam_ldap.conf
File: /etc/runit/univention-directory-listener/run
root@qamaster:~#

Since 2006 all tools are distributed unter the GPL. We are working on a public
subversion repository which will be available at the end of the month.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
Stefan Gohmann