Re: RFC: users of NMU detection code in dak?

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:11:01PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> > Currently dak has code to a) detect NMUs and b) uploads to
> > experimental and change how it closes bugs accordingly. This code
> > has been obsoleted by the introduction of version tracking in the
> > Debian BTS.
>
> Well, apparantly this isn't entirely true, or at least, opinions differ.
> Steve Langasek stated last night that "it was discussed that bugs fixed
> in NMUs should be version-closed *and* tagged fixed".

Yeah; this was my opinion on the matter when it was initially
discussed. I still think that some tag which can be used to identify
bugs which have been closed in a non-maintainer upload is useful; I
could fairly easily transition away from the fixed tag to a
fixed-in-nmu tag or something similar if a return to the original
meaning of fixed is desired.

> Implementing this would un-obsolete a), for b) there still is no use
> inside Debian (as version-tracking is a superior way of dealing with
> bugs in terms of which suite they apply to).
>
> Personally, I'm not sure, this use of 'fixed' would conflict with
> the original (pre-NMU?) sematic of it being "The bug seems to have
> been somehow resolved, but I'm not sure/it's not confirmed, so
> leaving it open & tagged fixed instead of closing it"[1].
>
> I think the bugs people should make a clear choice here, including
> making the display on bugs.debian.org consistent, and that the rest of
> the infrastructure should follow then.

I really don't have a very strong opinion either way, so long as there
is a tag which identifies bugs which have been fixed in an NMU.

If those who want a fixed tag which does not mean fixed in an NMU
could come up with a reasonable description of what the tag means, I
have no problem transitioning all of the fixed tags to fixed-in-nmu.

Don Armstrong

--
America was far better suited to be the World's Movie Star. The
world's tequila-addled pro-league bowler. The world's acerbic bi-polar