Re: Question about how to customize my distro

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:46:53AM -0400, Jesus A. Dominguez S. wrote:
> 2008/3/30, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
> > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Jesus A. Dominguez S. wrote:
> > Well, I guess you are also tricked by the badly choosen name Custom
> > Debian Distributions which sounds like it is about building something
> > else than Debian.  But it is the contrary: We try to enhance Debian
> > internally to support special user groups.  This is explained in
> >
> >     http://wiki.debian.org/CustomDebian   or in more detail
> >     http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/
> >
> > So you might perhaps be a little bit more verbose about your customisation
> > and it might be possible that your customisations might be intersting in
> > this scope.
>
> I don't fully understand what you're saying, I build my own Debian
> with simple-cdd, and I want to customize some things, from what I have
>  read, I thought that was the purpose of this list. No? help with
> simple-cdd issues?

well, the issue is that "debian-custom" is really about making Debian
customizable for a particular user base or purpose, by getting changes
incorporated into Debian.

building an installer CD with packages not in Debian is clearly more of
a Debian Derived Distribution, even if the tool is named "simple-cdd".
as a correlary, you can use the tool "debian-cd" to generate CDs other
than Official Debian CDs.

it is a philosophical distinction that often gets lost- Custom Debian
Distributions are 100% Debian, all packages supported within the mirror,
any installer customizations included on the Official Debian CDs, etc.,
whereas Debian Derived Distributions are N-99.99% Debian, possibly
including their own packages and installer.

one possible issue is that "simple-cdd" is possibly exclusively used to
make unofficial debian-installer CDs that are not within Debian, and
thus is maybe poorly named. I've hoped simple-cdd would be useful to
official custom debian distributions, and thus have directed feedback to
this list. if that is problematic, then i would like to figue out more
appropriate channels for simple-cdd, or even consider renaming it.

live well,
  vagrant