Re: Proposal for a new CDD project: Debian4Linux

Seg, 2007-04-23 às 16:54 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escreveu:
> [Luis Matos]
> > for a network server in an horizontal business (office) your server has:
>
> Debian-Edu/Skolelinux has this already:
>
> > - dhcp with mac address tables
> > - shares (samba, nfs, etc)
> > - central auth (ldap)
> > - central desktop preferenes (so anyone can use any computer.
> > - central data/documentation
> > - an http/ftp proxy
>
> These are defined to be out of scope for debian-edu (use a
> firewall/network centrib solution instead, there are plenty):
>
> > - some routing/nat
> > - firewall
> > - vpn
>
> This is not implemented out of the box:
>
> > - security SElinux
>
> Same, this is already present:
>
> > for an workstation/desktop you have to:
> >
> > - configure network (dhcp client) (done)
> > - configure ldap auth (limpam-ldap)
> > - configue mounts over the network for every user (libpam-mount)
> > - proxy automatically configured
>
> (We use autofs-ldap)
>
> Adn these are not implemented by default:
>
> > - have SELinux enabled for security
> > - enterprise desktop oriented applications
> > - firewall (maybe this is not needed)
>
> What is "enterprise desktop oriented applications"?
> Debian-edu/Skolelinux got among other things office suite, web browser
> and email reader.  What more is needed?

There are some useful tools like glabel ( to create some labels and
other).
Some applets ( like network, or the address book applet).

> I believe you forgot a few things which we find important in skolelinux
>
>  - Networked printer solution
yes, yes.

>  - Mail server
... humm ... maybe not right now.
>  - Backup system
true. That is the main scope of centralization
>  - Machine and service monitoring and trend reporting system
>  - Synchrnoised clocks
yes, true.

there are a bunch of features that we could easily add. My worries go to
the hard ones.

> Also, I would recommend having a look at thin client solutions.  They
> make system administraton a lot easier.  Skolelinux/Debian-Edu
> provides LTSP working out of the box, both for thin clients and
> diskless workstations.

You have a lot of work already done. Maybe expanding it would be nice.
i am going to install your cdd packages, give it a try and then check
what i can improve.