Re: Proposal for a new CDD project: Debian4Linux

Qui, 2007-04-19 às 21:39 +0300, Tzafrir Cohen escreveu:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:37:57PM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:
> > Stephen Frazier escreveu:
> > >I don't see what this project might do that shouldn't be a part of
> > >standard Debian.
> > >Doesn't everyone want Debian to be easy to use and easy to configure.
> > >
> > >Debian already works very well for business. Yes, I could be better,
> > >but everything you are suggesting would help the individual with 3 or
> > >4 computer in his home or the business with 20 desktops and 5 servers.
> > >
> > what about the people with 20 desktops and 1 server?
> >
> > or 6 desktops and 1 server?
> >
> > or both???
> >
> > this should be easy to configure with one server or n servers
>
> Why isn't it? Could you give a specific problematic scenario?

for a network server in an horizontal business (office) your server has:

- dhcp with mac address tables
- shares (samba, nfs, etc)
- central auth (ldap)
- central desktop preferenes (so anyone can use any computer.
- central data/documentation
- an http/ftp proxy
- some routing/nat
- firewall
- security SElinux
- vpn

for an workstation/desktop you have to:

- configure network (dhcp client) (done)
- configure ldap auth (limpam-ldap)
- configue mounts over the network for every user (libpam-mount)
- have SELinux enabled for security
- enterprise desktop oriented applications
- proxy automatically configured
- firewall (maybe this is not needed)

i think it is more or less what i want to deploy with this solution.

i don't know if, for example skolelinux has a solution like this for
server auth. If it has, it would be good for us to expand it, or use the
same.