Re: Google Summer of Code 2006

Hi all,

It seems that I did not formulate my thoughts correctly.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:58:02AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote :
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> >For administrative reasons, it is much easier for a company or a public
> >service to buy rather to give an arbitraty amount of money. You can not
> >send $100 to free software developpers, even if you saved $200 by using
> >Debian or another downloadable distribution. Just think about the many
> >blanks on the order sheet!
>
> So if anybody else want to make profit from what
> I did this is fine. I do not expect anything.

The point I wanted to make is that, for instance, as an individual, it
is very easy for me to support free software, by giving money to the
projects which call for donnations, but I do not think that I can tell
my boss that (for instance) since I am using browsers from the Mozilla
foundation, we should donnate part of our budgets. Particularly, even if
I managed to convinced him, I think that it would be technically
impossible (I am working in a publicly founded research agency, and I am
sure that those of you who also work in that kind of place will
acknowkledge that spending money can be a very complex task regadless of
the price).

So that is why...

> >I think that the commercials distributions which could be build on top
> >of mature CDDs can solve part of this problem, as instead of giving, you
> >can buy a box and a manual
>
> Well, writing manuals was not really part of the fun I listed above.

... I was thinking about the box and a manual as something that can be
stored on a shelf with a sticker on which the corresponding computer ID
is attached, to materialise the transaction, as it is done with the
proprietary software we buy. (even if on an ecological point of view it
is completely wasteful).

Sorry for waisting your time with unclear writings.

--
Charles