Re: what exactly is a CDD?

El Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:55:33AM +0200, Sven Mueller va escriure:
> Sven Mueller wrote on 18/05/2005 19:08:
> > Hmm, I had the impression that a custom Debian Distribution is a
> > specific set of packages, which is comprised of packages from Debian and
> > some (or many) custom packages, possibly with a preseeding file for
> > debian-installer and/or debconf etc. Additionally, I thought that a
> > custom Debian Distribution would always include some sort of
> > installation media (usually a set of CDs).
>
> Hey, I hate replying to myself, but I'm serious about the question I
> posted in the subject. If there is some wiki page or any other place I
> can get a good answer from, I must have overlooked that source of
> information.
>
> What exactly do you regard as a CDD?

  There are many definitions, look at:

    http://wiki.debian.net/?CustomDebian

  And at the Andreas' document:

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/paper-cdd/debian-cdd.html/

> - Is it a distribution in itself, releasing both a package repository
>   and CDs/DVDs for installation? [1]

  That would be a CDD if everything it needs is inside Debian, and it would be
  a Derived Distribution if not.

> [1] This would mean that CDDs are pretty exclusive, since no two CDDs
>     could be installed at the same time.

  Not necesarily, if you have all the tools of the CDD in Debian you should be
  able to install multiple CDD at the same time, as long as there is no
  conflict between the selected packages and configurations.

> - Is it a sort of description of what packages need to be installed for
>   a certain task, preconfiguring those packages as well as possible for
>   that task? [2]

  Yes and no, that is, as I see it the CDD is the installed system, but it's
  source would be the CDD description that contains all what you say.

> [2] This would allow parallel installation of two different CDDs as long
>     as the choice of packages and their configuration don't conflict.

  My idea of defining CDD as one package allows you to do that, as the idea
  is to be able to install the tasks of a CDD on a previously installed Debian
  System and, at the same time, generate a system to install the CDD directly
  (you can add more Debian packages later, but the installation system only
  installs the ones included on the selected CDD tasks).

> - A combination of both? [3]

  Well, as I've said before for me the CDD is the installed system, and the
  description is just that, the CDD description.

> - Something completely different?

  No, completely different I'm sure that no.

  Anyway, does it matter?

  I mean, the important thing is the idea that we can build something to help
  users to install and maintain a Debian system tailored for their needs, the
  name is not so important, we simply need the tools to do it and currently we
  are trying to work on that, there are a lot of things available, but we
  still don't have a unified tool like the one I've proposed on the cddtoolkit
  proposal.

  If you want to help you are welcome to do it, I'm always trying to continue
  working on my proposal, but as my personal situation would only let me do it
  at work and they keep asking me to do things not related to it I don't know
  how it will evolve.

  Anyway there are always things going on and I'm sure we will have something
  good soon (there are already a lot of things, we only need someone to
  collect the tools and give them a common interface, like my proposal does).

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69