Re: what exactly is a CDD?

Sven Mueller wrote on 18/05/2005 19:08:
> Hmm, I had the impression that a custom Debian Distribution is a
> specific set of packages, which is comprised of packages from Debian and
> some (or many) custom packages, possibly with a preseeding file for
> debian-installer and/or debconf etc. Additionally, I thought that a
> custom Debian Distribution would always include some sort of
> installation media (usually a set of CDs).

Hey, I hate replying to myself, but I'm serious about the question I
posted in the subject. If there is some wiki page or any other place I
can get a good answer from, I must have overlooked that source of
information.

What exactly do you regard as a CDD?
- Is it a distribution in itself, releasing both a package repository
  and CDs/DVDs for installation? [1]
- Is it a sort of description of what packages need to be installed for
  a certain task, preconfiguring those packages as well as possible for
  that task? [2]
- A combination of both? [3]
- Something completely different?

regards,
Sven

[1] This would mean that CDDs are pretty exclusive, since no two CDDs
    could be installed at the same time.
[2] This would allow parallel installation of two different CDDs as long
    as the choice of packages and their configuration don't conflict.
[3] Like: A CDD basically provides a description package, which makes
    sure that all packages needed for a certain task and configures them
    automatically (to a certain degree), but the CDD also provides
    installation media which automatically installs that description
    package
[4] I've currently no idea what this might be.