Re: CDDs projects on Alioth

|--==> Andreas Tille writes:

  AT> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
  AT> I do not want to force anybody who is maintaining free software and I do
  AT> not want to.  But I obviousely did a wrong statement in the docs (which
  AT> (... please read here ...
  AT>   I do not want to force anybody who is maintaining free software and I'm not
  AT>   able to do so.)

  >>Well, when I wrote about those 30 derivative distros,  I did mean that
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
Errata corrige: I did *not* mean! (Freudian lapsus?)

  >>I expect all of them to put their  sources on Alioth or integrate with
  >>Debian.

  AT> Ben clarified this to me...

  >>It was just  an example to show that  keeping all present  and
  >>future  CDDs in the same project  can eventually be problematic, given
  >>the number.

  AT> ... and I think that most of them are not really potential CDDs

Maybe  not *them* as  they are  *now*, but  similar projects which are
starting to bloom inside the Debian community on in the neighbourhood.

  >>I was just wandering  if we should have  some guidelines for  at least
  >>*our* projects, as  CDD mailing list members  and Debian insiders.

  AT> Yes, guidelines was definitely the thing I was wondering about.

  >>Yes, having a  common  place *does* help,   but  I think this  can  be
  >>accomplished  by having different Alioth projects  rooted  in the same
  >>directory. This assures both visibility and independence.

  AT> May be it is just a lack of knowledge on my side about alioth projects.
  AT> If it is possible to root different projects in one tree this is exactly
  AT> what I intended.  If it is not possible to build such projects under the
  AT> cdd/projects root (which was originally the idea of Otavio and me when we
  AT> created this tree) but it is possible in an other way I would move
  AT> Debian-Med (and I guess Ben would do so with Debian-Junior as well) to
  AT> the other common place.

By  "rooted in  the  same directory" I  mean  a  new directory in  the
Project   Tree [0]..   Imagine   the entry  "Customising"  just  below
"Packaging" in this page:

http://alioth.debian.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=273

and CDD that need their own Alioth project listed in this directory.

  >>IMO the  great  challenge for  Debian  is how  to let  even commercial
  >>derived distribution to be as much as possible regular CDD. That would
  >>be great  source of man   power and quality assurance,  and  everybody
  >>would benefit it. My understanding is that this what the UserLinux [0]
  >>project is all about.

  AT> Sure.  But IMHO they (which means UserLinux and others) have to declare
  AT> their interest to do so and their requirements (like creating projects
  AT> on alioth or whatever) first before we can do anything for them.

I think that once tools are  in place and we  as CDD pioneers exit the
experimental phase, then more will join.

Cheers,

Free

[0] http://alioth.debian.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php