Re: CDDs projects on Alioth

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Ben Armstrong wrote:

I strongly disagree.  All CDD projects will *never* be in Alioth.  You
cannot force everyone to use Alioth.
I do not want to force anybody who is maintaining free software and I do
not want to.  But I obviousely did a wrong statement in the docs (which
more or less says that the CDDs can be found in the cdd tree on alioth).
This has just to be fixed - no more no less.

If even one project does not put
their project there, you won't be able to say in the doc "all CDDs are
here" pointing at an Alioth category page.  Such an index should simply
be a manually maintained page listing all known CDDs.
My idea was that having CDD on a common place would make them easier to
view.  If people think that this is not the case - it would not be the
first time that I was wrong.  However, if I had talks about CDD and I
will be asked by the auditorium I have a very strong feeling that pointing
to a single place makes a well organised impression and thus I keep on
thinking that having one place has advantages .  Nobody was able to
convince me to find a better approach yet.  But I do not force anybody -
I'm just stating my point of view and recommend what my experience seemed
to make a logical decision according to observing our users expectations.

Please don't confuse children (people) with children (descendants in a
tree of derivatives).  The above URL refers to the latter.  Maybe you
haven't and you really mean the latter, but mentioning children in both
senses almost in the same breath blurs the distinction.
Uhm - thanks for the clarification.  I was sitting behind a slow connection
and did not visited the link which would have changed my arguing. ;-)

But yes, as Free has said, keeping all CDDs under the Alioth CDD project
is not sustainable.
As I said: If there ar reasons for a different organisation it is fine
for me.  We just need a kind of organisation that ensures that we can
find a single sentence which, spoken to a newbe, explains, how he can
find all CDDs without any effort.  If this is possible (and this sentence
moved to the docs) I'm completely happy.

And yes, as you say, Andreas, there are many
distros with only subtle differences that could probably merge.  But
don't overestimate how quickly that will happen.
Well - this was my misinterpretation of "children-distros" ...

Look at the
proliferation of packages with similar purposes in Debian.  I don't see
a whole lot of them merging, not the least reason for which is that
every group of developers has their own ideas, goals, and comfort
zones.
Sure - I do not want to stop them: I was just wondering about 30 different
distros only for children as target users ...

Again, Free, it is fine to have a recommended approach (creating your
own Alioth project) and an alternate approach (making it a subtree of
the CDD project).  Do you really think all 30 of the above, even
assuming they wanted to switch to Alioth, would opt for the latter?  I
don't.  In fact, I think it will be rather rare.  If and when it starts
to become a problem, we can deal with it then.
I really think that most of them are not really fullfilling the
category "portantial CDD". Half of them are commercial and thus can
not be integrated into Debian and many others have reasons to stay
outside.  I see potential new CDDs coming from inside of Debian in
terms of specializing for special fields or locales.

Kind regards