Re: Structure of Chapter 6 -- Technology

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I think "Chapter 6 -- Technology" in the debian-cdd document is simply
> too large and too detailed.
Yes.  It is definitely a target of restructuring.

> Each chapter ought to be a comfortable read
> for someone wishing to become acquainted with the CDD project without
> delving too deep into technical details.  We should restructure this as
> an overview of the technology, while providing an Appendix to serve as a
> reference for those who are interested in the technical details.
>
> If we go this way, which parts should become the new appendix, and which
> should remain as-is?  Clearly, in my mind at least, man pages do not
> belong in this chapter.
Yes, they should definitely be moved.

> But in the area of tutorials and examples, some
> brief examples can help give the reader a sense of what can be done with
> CDD's without dragging the reader too deep into the process and losing
> them among all the details.  Still, I think we have too many of these,
> and some, if not all of them should also be moved to the appendix.
I'd vote for keeping some of them but perhaps sanely placed references
might fix this.

Feel free to move on in restructuring.

I will have some time to think about it tomorrow on my travel to LSM
Bordeaux (will be offline from about Mo Jul 5 12:00 CEST to
Tu Jul 6 10:00 CEST) but I do not know whether I'll be busy with
preparing my second talk (I've got a CDD slot in the Accecibility track
yesterday and have to adjust my talk to shorter time and the special
topic), doing some cdd-coding regarding the proposed changes in the
menu system or just hacking the docs...

Kind regards