Re: Knoppix to Debian - A Roadmap what needs to be done

"C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier@tu-bs.de> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, 15. April 2004 20:57 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> Preferably the live-cd autoconfig magic should keep working even with
>> apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade. In fact that should update the
>> live-cd packages to newest versions and not revert the system to a
>> normal debian.
>
> Hmm, that sounds really cool!
> As for the perspective broader than just live-CDs and the two stages of debix
> you mentioned:
>
> Maybe you'd like to call the two parts non-persistent (COW) disk support and
> autoconfig for debian. And maybe debian-knoppix could also be thought of a
> stepstone to a future generic debian-autoconfig (for CD, HD, Flash, ROM,
> PXE-Netboot etc. images)

Debix can provide the infrastructure. Knoppix has to supply the debs
that should be in a Knoppix set for debix.

The 2 parts I ment was that Debix is suposed as tool to create a
live-cd from an existing or hand build system but also a tool that can
build such system automatically according to preset rules (list of
debs and some cleanup scripts if needed).

> Those are just my thoughts on the "think about the name" part.
>
> I also had a look in what section discover, kudzu, and hotplug are in. (admin,
> utils, admin) And I found the package gibraltar-bootsupport which is also in
> the admin section and manages /etc and /var on their CD.
>
> Christian

MfG
        Goswin