Re: Knoppix to Debian - A Roadmap what needs to be done

El Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:57:50PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow escribió:
> One thing I have seen in various mails in this thread (here too) I
> completly disagree with:
>
> Things like 'that is only used when booting from the LiveCD'.

  Well, I think the main problem with this is that I'm always thinking
  that the LiveCD is a system that always has to do the hardware
  detection, autoconfigure some services and is limited by the use of
  a read-only root filesytem that makes some programs unusable, but a HD
  installation does not have those limitations.

> One main design trick of Debix is that all the live-cd specials are
> contained _just_ in the initial ramdisk (+ some files on the cd for
> space reasons). The ramdisk finds (when I get it finished) the CD (usb
> stick, CF card, harddisk install, whatever medium) and sets that up as
> a writeable snapshot (COW to ram) with device-mapper.

  I agree on having all the specials on the ramdisk.

  My proposal about config files only for the LiveCD is because I'm
  always thinking about a read-only root filesystem, while you think
  about it as a writable one.

  I like the idea of writable snapshots, but I've never used LVM nor the
  device-mapper and I don't know which requiriments or limitations does
  it have ... can you give me some pointers to documentation?

> After that there is absolutley no difference between that snapshot
> device and any other _writable_ block device and I don't intend to
> artificially introduce any. You can HD install the image and it would
> still be volatile just like on CD. If changes should persist the
> initrd has to be changed (or better just a bootparameter). This could
> even be switched on/off at runtime at any moment. The HD installed
> live-cd should keep behaving just like the live-cd with all its
> autoconfig magic until the user chooses to change it.

  I don't see any problem on that design if the user can install the
  system and turn it into an standard CDD *image* when booting from HD.

> Preferably the live-cd autoconfig magic should keep working even with
> apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade. In fact that should update the
> live-cd packages to newest versions and not revert the system to a
> normal debian.

  In my proposal all specific LiveCD code does not conflict or replaces
  standard tools, so there must be no problem on upgrades.

  And of course I really like the idea of reusing and enhacing current
  Debian tools to support LiveCD and standard systems with the same
  packages, that should be the preferred aproach when possible.

> PS: Changing between volatile and persistent is realy great to test
> sid upgrades. Turn on volatile, upgrade, if it fails reboot. If it
> works go back to persistent.

  I'm going to checkout debix now to test all this, i like the idea, but
  at first it seems too resource hungry for a LiveCD ...

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69