Re: Would you agree - Debian is for the tech savvy

Hi Axel,

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 07:09:04PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Wouter Verhelst dijo [Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 06:45:49PM +0100]:
> > > [M-F-T set, as this is getting increasingly off-topic]

> You mean a bloaty, shiny desktop environment?

> Haven't seen mine in months. I think it's broken for a year or two now
> anyways. There's only a single tile shown despite it should be
> repeated. But I don't care as only see it very occassionally.

Translucent terminals FTW ;-)

> Are you crazy? Nobody wants that! That's horribly inefficient! No nicely
> aligned windows either!

> > > Nah. Awesomewm is much better! ;-)
>
> <serious>
> Unfortunately no more. I still have awesome on hold on 3.4.15-1
> because 3.5.x is incompatible with the no more updated awesome-extra
> package. And without awesome-extra, awesome is far less awesome... :-(

Never used that. However, reading the description, I'm not very impressed:

"
 It contains:
  * wicked, a widget manager which can fill them with various system information
    (CPU or memory usage, network bandwidth, etc);
  * shifty, an extension implementing dynamic tagging;
  * obvious, a set of several widgets (WiFi link quality, battery usage, etc),
    superseding wicked;
  * vicious, a widget manager;
  * revelation, expose like functionality;
  * bashets, use your shell scripts as content providers for widgets;
  * flaw, object oriented library providing a thin abstraction layer
    above awesome widgets.
"

So, that's a widget manager, something else, a widget manager
superseding the first, a widget manager, something else, a widget bash
thingy, and something "providing a thin abstraction layer [for] widgets"
(which is what, another widget manager?)

Would you like a widget manager with your widget manager?

> So I wonder if I should switch to i3 which is properly maintained and
> seems to have all the features I need since 4.x...

Let me guess, it has widgets? ;-P

> > Lua for configuration is overrated. It's not for techies, it's for
> > masochists. A techie knows when to let go ;-)
>
> .... and has proper config files. Awesome 2.x was indeed awesome as it
> didn't have that annoying lua-drawback.
> </serious>
>
> Oh, and btw.:
> https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=awesome,i3-wm&show_installed=on&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1

So i3 is more popular. If I cared about that, I'd be using gnome or KDE,
not a tiling window manager.

> > (hell, should I have refrained from this last reply?)
>
> Nope. ;-)

Not on this list, at least :-)

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,