Re: Debian release versioning

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@funlabs.org>:

>  On 17-07-2008 10:05, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 06:09:09PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> >> So lenny will be Debian 5.0. Many people have questioned this
> >> choice, given how we onconsistently went ...-2.0-2.1-2.2-3.0-3.1-4.0
> >> in the last decade, but it's the RM's choice and not to be debated.
> >
> > Looks consistent to me.
> >
> > 1.0-1.1-1.2-1.3
> > 2.0-2.1-2.2
> > 3.0-3.1
> > 4.0
> >
> > It does give a problem for 5 since by this pattern there can never be
> > another release so actually 5.0 doesn't fit.  Oh dear. :)
>  [...]
>
>  	That's nice. We can now use it as a pattern. :-)
>
>  5.0-5.1
>  6.0-6.1-6.2
>  7.0-7.1-7.2-7.3
>  8.0-8.1-8.2
>  9.0-9.1
>  10.0

Cool!  Anyone want to do the full wave signature from Linus' original
release to now?  We can analyze that, apply some filtering on it, then
divine a baseline wavelet we can apply to any software project's
release history.  I knew those years I wasted processing seismic data
would come in handy someday.

On the other hand, hmmm.  I notice no spikes in the data above.  :-| I
think we want spikes in this area.  Versioning is too coarse a
dataset.  We'll have to slurp changelogs instead.