Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:16:28 +0200 Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>
> > On 11424 March 1977, Francesco Poli wrote:
> >
> > > Important disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.
> >
> > Those are *totally* and absolutely unimportant and a waste to write.
> > Could people please stop always writing them, its fairly clear by itself
> > that debian-legal does NOT do any lawyers work (and whatever else people
> > put into that crap). Its also absolutely unimportant if someone is a DD
> > or not, it doesnt matter at all, as people are writing their own opinion
> > about $stuff on the list, not that of Debian.
>
> I *used* to think that those disclaimers are implicit in most cases.
>
> But then, I was harshly accused of not making it clear enough that
> I am neither a lawyer, nor a Debian developer, that I'm not providing
> legal advice, and that I don't speak on behalf of the Debian Project.
> Other people were similarly attacked for the same reason.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/10/msg00133.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00014.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00038.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00092.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00106.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00222.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00278.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00062.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00215.html

Note that all of these complaints were made by the same person:
Anthony Towns.  Since Anthony used to hold a number of positions of
authority in Debian, including ftpmaster and DPL, I think that
Francesco's response was not irrational.  Since a current ftpmaster
has explicitly said that these notices are no longer necessary,
Francesco can probably relent.

Personally, I received similar criticisms, but I never added
disclaimers.  I just thought Anthony was being a jerk.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu